| 0 comments ]

While I have never spoken much about my love for cars and bikes, I love vehicles very much. When in Mumbai, I would travel for 20+ kms on my Yamaha Fazer. I really love to zip through the traffic. I have easily covered the distance from my home in Sakinaka to Pedder Road in less than 35 minutes. Those who know Mumbai know what I am talking about. 


I rode quite a lot of bikes. The Pulsar 150, Pulsar 180, Pulsar 220, Honda Unicorn, Karizma, Splendour, Yamaha RX100, Yamaha FZ16, Yamaha R15, HH Passion,  Sleek, CD Dawn, Discover, and some other mopeds. Phew, what a list!

About a year ago, I have also learnt to drive a car, and have become quite an expert. Thence, I have driven an 800, a Lancer, an Indica, a Sumo, an All Terrain Vehicle, a Zen, a Verna, a Renault Logan, and some others..

As you might expect, I planned to drive a car in America too.. I wanted to try out the left hand driving system that America so iconically adheres to. I got myself an International Driving License, which allows me to drive in 180 countries, including America.

However, as per the rules in America, I need to have a car insurance before I can drive. Now I *do* have a student's insurance, which covers 'motor insurance'. But as I did not expect, I am 'needed' to buy a separate car insurance. Without it, no salesman would sell me a car, nor would any of my good friends allow me to drive their car. My friends become all very pessimistic and begin talking about car crashes and car deaths.

And I find it revolting. Locomotion is being denied here. I thought an individual has that freedom in America, atleast in America. I did not know that we have to go register with the big bosses in order to use their roads. Anyways, buying an insurance doesnt actually reduce car accidents. It actually takes the burden off the driver's mind of paying for the damages.. 





If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my regular Email Updates!

0 comments

Post a Comment